Saturday, May 23, 2009

Four Days Left - Running on Fumes

Photobucket

We're plowing through to the goal line, dragging would-be teenage tacklers and stiff-arming administrators who wave data monitoring forms, final exams, retention lists, standardized test scores, and professional development plans in our faces. The summer is the ONE reason for teaching. Don't give me any of that high-minded bullcrap about changing the life of just one child. I love my students. I've changed lives. I've righted wrongs and injustices. I've filled the vessels that had previously been impenetrable. (Holy hell, that sounded awful.) The only reason any sensible person would do what I do is for the reward of summer vacation.

And I pledge to make it a good one.

For one thing, it's my daughter's last summer before preschool. This is it. No more freedom for the tiny dancer. We're looking at pool days, spring days, rainy day video game/movie marathons, camping, beach trips, a visit from the greatest cousins on the planet, a visit to the in-laws in Nashville, and gratuitous amounts of popsicles. I think she'll be happy. The littlest ninja is completing the grind of kindergarten, so he'll be happy with anything that doesn't involve the Letter People, I'm sure.

My better half will certainly be happy. Why? Because I'll be home, that's why. I am the sweet nectar of our wedded bliss. (Remind me not to send her a blog update.)

It'll be a good one for me for all of the above reasons, plus this:

Photobucket
motorcyclemotorcyclemotorcycleWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 10:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

re my return to the idiocy that is the education system- your child does need me. so do many of those bags of hormones. I inspire kids to think, to go beyond themselves, to serve their country, to self-sacrifice in the name of education, to be passionate for poetry, to sharpen their skills in sarcasm, to devour novels in a single night!!!! they left my class better students! nay! better humans!!! that kind of talent isn't learned! it is in my blood, in the very marrow of my bones!!! but, alas, it went unappreciated. I jumped through the hoops of bureaucracy! I leaped over the hurdles of paper work! I crawled across fields of state mandates! and for what? for what I ask you???? only to have big brother breathing down my neck, demanding MORE AND MORE AND MORE!!!! until all that was left was a husk of my former self, a shell of what once was!! so dare I say...dare I whisper ever so softly??? I would rather have hot pokers stuck in my eyes than go back...summer was no longer enough.

 
At 10:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

not anonymous...that was, this is GForce.

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger MisterWindex said...

Oh, I knew it was you! Sooooo, does this mean you're coming back? ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home